Recent Posts

Be Safe with Your Holiday Decorations

12/13/2018 (Permalink)

General Be Safe with Your Holiday Decorations Here to Help!

Holiday Lights and Electrical Decorations Safety Tips

by ESFi.org

Now that Thanksgiving is over, many of us will be decorating our hoes for Christmas.  While decorative lights and other electrical decorations add to the magic of the season, they can increase the risks of fire and electrical injuries if not used safely.

  • Always purchase electrical decorations and lights from reputable retailers.
  • Use lights approved for safe use by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
  • Never connect more than three strands of incandescent lights together.
  • Consider purchasing LED lights, which use less energy and run cooler than traditional incandescent lights.
  • Before decorating, determine how many outlets are available and where they are located. Plan your displays accordingly.
  • Carefully inspect each  electrical decoration.  Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
  • Follow the manufacturer's use and care instructions that accompany electrical decorations.
  • Avoid overloading electrical outlets with too many decorations or electrical devices.  They can overheat and cause a fire.
  • Make sure that cords are not pinched in doors, windows or under heavy furniture, which could damage the cord's insulation.
  • Do not mount or support light strings in a way that might damage the cord's insulation.
  • Always unplug electrical decorations before replacing bulbs or fuses.
  • Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before leaving home or going to sleep.

Remember SERVPRO of Brainer and Park Rapids is Here to Help @ 218-568-6923.

Crow Wing, Cass, Wadena and Hubbard county residents, if you suspect mold follow these safety tips.

11/27/2018 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Crow Wing, Cass, Wadena and Hubbard county residents,  if you suspect mold follow these safety tips. Be Careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.

If you see visible mold, do not disturb it.  You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home.  When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.

What to Do:

  • Stay out of affected areas.
  • Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
  • Contact SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids for mold remediation services.

What Not to Do:

  • Don't touch or disturb the mold.
  • Don't blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
  • Don't attempt to dry the area yourself.
  • Don't spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.

About our Mold Remediation Services

SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it's a cornerstone of our business.  Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.

If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today - 218-568-6923

Crow Wing county Smoke and Soot Cleanup

11/27/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Crow Wing county Smoke and Soot Cleanup Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Crow Wing county home.

Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.

Smoke and soot facts:

  • Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
  • Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
  • The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.

Different Types of Smoke

There are two different types of smoke - wet and dry.  As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire.  Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred.  The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting.  Here is some additional information:

Wet Smoke - Plastic and Rubber

  • Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary.  Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.

Dry Smoke - Paper and Wood

  • Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.

Protein Fire Residue - Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire

  • Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.

Our Fire Damage Restoration Services

Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions.  We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage.  We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.

Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?

Call Us Today - 218-568-6923

Happy Thanksgiving

11/21/2018 (Permalink)

General Happy Thanksgiving Don't get too Stuffed!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Be safe this Thanksgiving.  Cooking is the leading cause of fires in the home and of fire injuries, so please follow these safety tips:

  • Make sure your oven is empty before turning it on.
  • Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.
  • Turn pot handles inward over the stove.
  • Remember to "stand by your pan" and stay in the kitchen when boiling, frying or broiling.
  • Use a timer when baking or roasting and never leave the house with the oven cooking.
  • The best way to respond to a stovetop fire is to "put a lid on it" and turn off the heat.
  • The best way to respond to an oven or broiler fire is to keep the doors closed and turn off the heat.
  • If the fire is not quickly snuffed out, leave the house and call 911 from outside.

Remember SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is always Here to Help at 218-568-6923.  Save our phone number to your phone so that you can be Hero Ready if disaster strikes you home or business.

We are "HERE TO HELP"

Frozen pipe burst in Pequot Lakes, MN

11/21/2018 (Permalink)

Water Damage Frozen pipe burst in Pequot Lakes, MN This was caused by freezing temperatures and a burst pipe.

An external water spigot froze and burst inside the wall and caused this waterfall of ice along with extensive water damage throughout this three story house.  The damage included SERVPRO needing to remove all hardwood flooring on the main level and removing all of the drywall throughout the lower level.  This picture is what the homeowner arrived home to see.

SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids was called in to clean up the aftermath!  While this was a trying time for the homeowner he was glad we were on-site to start the drying process immediately.

He had even said, "Now I can refinish my house the way I should have done it in the first place.  Thank you for what your crews have done for me."

He even called SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids to perform the post-construction clean-up.