Archived Blog Posts
Protect Yourself in an Emergency Water Situation
Heavy rains and high water table caused this basement to flood.
Emergency Don'ts During Water Emergency
In the event of a water emergency, whether it's considered clean, contaminated or you just don't know kind of water follow these steps below for your safety.
- Enter rooms with standing water (like the one pictured).
- Enter areas if electrical outlets or equipment are exposed to water. Avoid unnecessary shock hazards.
- Leave materials containing coloring (inks) on carpet or floors to avoid staining.
- Use household items to remove water, such as your household vacuum, this may cause electrical shock or damage the vacuum cleaner.
- Use appliances or ceiling fixtures if standing in water or the ceiling is wet or sagging.
- Don't spread water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to an affected area.
Follow these Emergency Don'ts until SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids arrives.
Call us at 218-568-6923, we are working to make it "Like it never even happened."
Fort Ripley, MN home suffered water loss.
Having a job file process in place can prevent secondary damage.
Water Damage Job File Process:
To maintain consistency, SERVPRO utilizes a system to process your emergency in a timely fashion. This system is designed to record the events of each individual loss and keep documentation for all parties involved.
- SERVPRO First Notice of Loss (FNOL) documents proper identification of the loss which is important for proper preparation of the job, including the appropriate technicians and equipment.
- SERVPRO Authorization to Perform Services must be signed by the customer to signify the official "hiring" of SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids.
- SERVPRO Customer Information Form - Water Damage provides answers to commonly asked questions and alleviates potential misunderstandings.
- SERVPRO Water Damage Emergency Services Report provides a record of the emergency work done to mitigate the loss.
- SERVPRO Water Damage, Equipment Validation and Drying Report tracks the use of equipment and the drying process.
- SERVPRO Certification of Satisfaction provides written evidence that our customers are pleased with the work we have performed.
This process is in place to assure customers that SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is Here to Help.
Spring floods require planning.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is available 24 hours a day for storm and water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. Whether flooding or burst pipe, a delay of just a few hours cam greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We are Here to Help
Call Today - 218-568-6923
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water and storm damage restoration - in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if Known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
We are ready to help, so call us today!
Commercial dehumidification in Cass County, MN
Burst pipe under vanity in local business.
Commercial clean up after pipe burst.
If your business suffers water damage from an unexpected loss, here are some things to do until help arrives.
- Shut of the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the source.
- Turnoff circuit breakers for the affected areas of the building when safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible.
- Place foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and carpet.
- Remove valuables, sensitive to moisture, to a safe place.
Know who to call:
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids can perform an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) of your business at no cost to you. An ERP will leave you with important contact numbers at your fingertips.
Included in an ERP will be:
- Emergency Action Checklist
- Advanced Warning and Emergency Contacts
- Emergency Contacts
- Main Utility Information (Shut Off Locations)
- Primary Contact Information (Work Authorization Contact)
- Insurance Contact Information
- Miscellaneous Contact Information
- Property Overview
- Building Access Information
If you experience a catastrophic loss at your business, do you know who to call? Call SERVPRO the company your insurance company TRUSTS. We are a national provider for hundreds of insurance companies. Don't wait until it's too late!
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is here to help! Call or save our number, 218-568-6923.
Giving Back to the Community
Sponsoring Closest to the Pin on a beautiful day, for a great cause.
2019 MMBA Scholarship Golf Tournament
Greetings Participants of the 2019 MMBA Scholarship Golf Tournament,
We would like to sincerely thank you for your involvement in the 28th Annual Mid-Minnesost Builders Association Scholarship Golf Tournament. As an organization, we realize it is with your support that our event is a huge success each and every year.
Our volunteer committee, along with the host facility, works tirelessly each year to make sure that the event is not only great for your networking experience, but is just plain fun!
Special thanks to the emcee of the 2019 Golf Tournament. Kylre Hall (Quality Equipment Sales & Service) helped with welcoming everyone to the event and kept everything flowing before the shot gun start. Margie Goebel (Allegiance Project Services) did a fantastic job with the awards and recognition at dinner. I would also like to thank Colleen Faacks and Tracy Peterson (MMBA Staff) for the excellent job of getting sponsor awareness out there in the world of social media, pre and post tournament exposure. If you have any ideas for improvement, or would like to help on the committee this coming year, please feel free to contact Colleen at the MMBA office.
Once again, we can not emphasize enough how much we appreciate your participation and support of this event and the association. We look forward to seeing you at future tournaments and MMBA events.
Co-Chairs 2019 Golf Tournament: Jim Falconer and Margie Goebel
Committee Members: Jeremy Anderson (Simonson Lumber), Steve Arends (SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids), Chuck Deutsch (Brainerd Glass, Inc.), Ginger House (Mid Minnesota Federal Credit Union), Linda Hurst (Brainerd Dispatch), Mike Rodahl (Stonehenge Properties, LLC), Joe Sparks (Brainerd Savings and Loan) and Jayme Steele (Weizenegger-Engel Insurance)
Fire leaves residue throughout home in Little Falls, MN
Smoke isn't as easy as 1, 2, 3...
Behavior of Smoke
A fire loss can be complex due to the unique behavior of smoke. That's why it's important to call on SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids trained professionals to have in your home at your time of need.
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas.
- Smoke migrates to upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing, using holes around pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke present will greatly affect the restoration process.
Types of Smoke
The SERVPRO Professional at your fire scene will calm your fears and test the smoke to see what type of fire has taken place.
Plastics and Rubbers - Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary.
Paper and Wood - Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Easy Smoke? Never!
Protein Fire Residue-
Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire.
Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extremely pungent odor.
Fuel Oil Soot-
Furnace Puff Backs
While "puff backs" can create havoc for you, SERVPRO Professionals can in most cases restore the contents and structure quickly.
Tear gas, fingerprint powder and fire extinguisher residue.
Special loss situations require special care. SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is trained to handle your toughest losses!
While any fire can be a major disruption for your home or business, SERVPRO Professional's will help calm your nerves and address concerns through pretesting the damage. This allows SERVPRO to focus on saving precious items for your customers, and that is what really matters to you!
Call us when you need us, we are Here to Help! 218-568-6923.
Local Convenience Store suffers major damage after cooler fails in Wadena, MN.
Removed commercial cooler exposes undiscovered leak that created major mold contamination.
Undiscovered leaks can wreak havoc to your business.
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids can help should this happen to your business. Our trained Franchise Professionals are equipped with the equipment and knowledge to protect the rest of your structure.
While any intrusion of water into your business can result in mold growth, undiscovered intrusions can result in increased risk of harmful mold growth.
Suspect Mold at your Wadena business?
Microscopic mold spores exist almost everywhere, outdoors and indoors, making it impossible to remove all mold from home or business. Some restoration businesses advertise "mold removal" and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy.
Consider the following facts:
Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or HVAC systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants. When left undetected, these colonies can cause substantial damage to your facility.
Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
Should you suspect or see mold give us a call at 218-568-6923.
Nisswa Chamber of Commerce Ribbon Cutting
Nisswa Members in Action ribbon cutting for J's Woodworking and Brenda's Seasonal Specialties.
J's Woodworking and Brenda's Seasonal Specialties Store
As a member of Nisswa Member's in Action; SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids was proud to welcome and attend this Nisswa Chamber of Commerce ribbon cutting event.
While being locally owned and operated, SERVPRO also supports other local area businesses. J's Woodworking and Brenda's Seasonal Specialties Store is a welcome addition to the community.
They specialize in hand-crafting bunk beds and furniture, signs, home decor, housewares, apparel, custom embroidery and so much more. They also offer woodworking classes and kids workshops! Check out their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/jopatzwoodworking/ for more information.
They are located at 25486 Murray Road in Nisswa directly behind the A & W and can be reached at 320-407-2775.
While creating custom bunkbeds and furniture with exceptional quality, J's Woodworking also offers DIY classes in a workshop environment. Perfect for those who enjoy crafting but don't have the space. They also host private parties for birthdays, friends weekends, bachelor/bachelorette parties and more.
Brenda's Seasonal Specialties offers embroidery, vinyl printed apparel and a wide variety of baby items. Something for everyone!
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is Here to Help. From Carpets to Catastrophies or supporting local area businesses.
Feel free to call with your needs at 218-568-6923.
2020 PRODUCT SHOWCASE
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids Marketing Manager in the Educational Booth at the MMBA/GLAR at Breezy Point Convention Center.
PRODUCT SHOWCASE 2020
On Thursday, January 30, 2020 SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids had the pleasure to display and educational booth at the Breezy Point Convention Center.
This Product Showcase was hosted by the Mid-Minnesota Builders Association (MMBA) and the Greater Lakes Association of Realtors (GLAR). This industry specific trade show exhibited the latest and greatest products/services to local builders, remodelers, appraisers, realtors and home inspectors.
SERVPRO's focus at this event was to educate the local contractors on our Emergency Response Time Program.
- (1) - Within one hour from notice of loss, a SERVPRO Franchise Professional will contact the homeowner or business to arrange a service time.
- (2) - Within four hours of loss notification, a SERVPRO Franchise Professional will be on-site to start mitigation services.
- (3) - Also, within eight business of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to the adjuster.
This response time is designed to remove the fears of homeowners during this stressful time. It is also in place to alleviate and possibility of secondary damage. Having these standards in place also reduces claims loss expense.
If your home or business requires emergency service, don't hesitate to give us a call at 218-568-6923. SERVPRO Professionals will arrive quickly to help you regain control of your structure.
Crow Wing County Fire Damage from Woodburning Fireplace.
Personal belongings and memories soot stained from fire in adjacent room.
For Homeowners, Putting Out A FIRE Can Be Worse Than The FIRE ITSELF
A backdraft of emotions often sweeps over the homeowners after a fire ravages a home. Fear, uncertainty, stress and doubt about the future of the property can overwhelm the homeowner long after the flames have been extinguished and the smoke has cleared.
So after the first wave of heroes have rescued the property, let SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids help you restore it. With the industry-approved training to employ rapid response, the utmost professionalism, cutting-edge technology and open communication, we strive to restore not only the home, but the customer's peace of mind as well.
The first 48 hours after fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids provides timely response with mitigation services ranging from fire, smoke and soot removal to contents claims inventory and document restoration. These services help ensure your property, belongings and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
What You Can Do Until Help Arrives
- Limit movement in the home to prevent sootparticles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Do not clean any electrical equipment
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is available 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to help you regain control quickly. 218-568-6923.
From CARPETS to CATASTROPHES
For All Your Commercial Cleaning Needs
Time Is A Precious Commodity
When you need it done right and done fast, call your SERVPRO Franchise Professional for all your commercial cleaning needs. Did you know when you hire SERVPRO Franchise Professionals you get around-the-clock restoration services built with you in mind? Quality cleaning and quick response - that's the SERVPRO way.
Can't figure out how to get the job done? Call SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids at 218-568-6923 for all your emergency restoration needs. Because when you experience a fire, water or mold damage in your facility, you need fast response and the expertise to get the job done right, ensuring your business can get back into operation as quickly as possible. Through it all, you expect the most reliable information and the very best service at a fair price.
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids are committed to providing fire and water cleanup and restoration services to reduce business interruptions and recovery costs.
- Over 50 years of experience as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider.
- A SERVPRO Franchise is nearby - more than 1,700 Franchises nationwide.
- More locations for faster responses. A uniformed technician will arrive on-site usually within four hours of notification.
- Quick response time to help ensure the damage is contained and the restoration process begins promptly.
- Large loss capabilities - no fire or water damage is too big.
MOLD CONSUMES VACANT HOUSE AFTER PIPE BURST.
Complete demolition of this bedroom was called for after a pipe broke and was left unattended too in Crosslake, MN.
Get it Clean - Get it Sold
Dirty ducts can circulate odors and contaminants like mold and irritating dust throughout a home. SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids uses a Portable Ventilation & Air Duct Cleaning System to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
Be an Informed Resource
Molds are found in every environment, and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. An Institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors encourages the growth of molds and other organisms, causing potential health effects. The EPA advised that the potential health concerns from molds are an important reason to prevent moisture problems leading to mold growth. It is especially important to clean up existing indoor mold growth to increase property appeal and retain its value. If a property has experienced a water intrusion SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids can inspect the damage to see whether moisture has penetrated materials or is allowing mold growth.
Control Moisture - Reduce Mold
Prior to listing a property, the following steps can be taken to reduce the potential for moisture buildup or mold growth. Should a damage event occur, timely response is the key to preventing further damage - act within the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Correct any water leaks or standing water
- Remove standing water under cooling coils or air handling units
- Properly maintain humidifiers, if used
- Replace wet or visibly moldy insulation materials
- Steam cleaning and other methods involving moisture should not be used on any kind of duct work
- Install a ventilation system
When winter weather strikes, we strike back.
Faster to any size disaster
PREPARE YOUR HOME
Tips for Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement of crawl space and turn it to "off."
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
PREPARE YOUR BUSINESS
Tips for Preparing Your Business for Winter Weather
- Check you business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice and snow, can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Ask you local SERVPRO Franchise Professional about starting an Emergency Ready Profile for your business.
Feel free to call us at 218-568-6923. We are here to help.
Have You Considered a Mold Inspection, Before You Buy
This was found by new homeowners when they were moving into to new house. It was hidden by a bed during there walk through.
When you're looking to purchase a new home or commercial building in the Lakes area ordering a professional mold inspection might not be on your to-do list. But while not every buyer will opt for an inspection, the benefits can be great, and the peace of mind can be worth the cost.
Where Can Mold Grow?
The short answer to where mold can grow is almost anywhere. Since mold is a fungus, it only needs three main ingredients to thrive: moisture, the correct temperature and a food source (as minimal as dust or flakes of skin). If these conditions exist in abundance, it only takes up to 48 hours for visible mold to appear, and virtually any functional building has one or more of the following prime environments for mold:
• Heating/cooling vents
This is just a short list of where molds can grow, so ultimately, no building is going to be completely exempt of a potential mold problem.
Why Should You Get a Mold Inspection?
If the property you’re purchasing has ever had a problem with mold in the past, an inspection is essential because history is bound to repeat itself. If there is any visible mold or risk of mold growth, an inspection will alert you so you can learn how to rectify it and how much it will cost to do so. If the cost is too great, you may want to reconsider purchasing the building.
An inspection will come at a cost, but the good news is it’s often bundled in with a larger property inspection, which usually includes an assessment of the building’s structure, repair risks and more. More than likely, you will get a good bang for your buck.
Perhaps the most relevant reason to get a mold inspection is because of what might happen if you don’t get one. It could easily save you from spending large sums on mold, repairs or lawsuits – all expenses that could be minimized or prevented with a simple inspection for a fraction of the cost. Visit SERVPRObrainerdparkrapids.com for more information on mold.
Burst pipe in Wadena County, MN
Pipe burst under kitchen sink in Wadena County.
Temperature's are falling and your home's pipes could freeze causing damage and potential flooding
What to do if your pipes freeze:
- If you turn on your water and nothing comes out, leave the faucets turned on and call a plumber.
- Never try to thaw a pipe with a torch or other open flame because it could cause a fire hazard. Water damage is preferable to burning down your house!
- You may be able to thaw a frozen pipe using a hair dryer. Start by warming the pipe as close to the faucet as possible, working toward the coldest section of the pipe.
- If your water pipes have already burst, turn off the water at the main shutoff valve in the house; leave the water faucets on. Make sure everyone in your family knows where the water shutoff valve is and how to open and close it.
- Do not use electrical appliances in ares of standing water. You could be electrocuted.
Take the necessary steps to protect your home form water damage and costly repairs. It is important to know who to call if you have a problem. Save our number (218)-568-6923. Our experts are standing by 24/7. We are always Here to Help.
Flooding won't affect Monday classes
Heavy rains and frozen ground flood local Brainerd school.
Brainerd Public Schools
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids was recently called for an emergency flooding in the lower level of a school. The Brainerd Dispatch caught us in action in an article by Theresa Bourke on Mar 17, 2019 at 5:00 a.m.
An orange hazard warning marker alerts pedestrians of the water-removing hose across the sidewalk working to clean up minor flooding Thursday, March 14, at the Washington Educational Services Building on Oak Street. Frank Lee / Brainerd Dispatch
If any Brainerd students thought the flooding at three school district facilities would mean a longer spring break, their hopes are about to be dashed.
"Everything's cleaned up pretty well. It'll be ready to go by Monday, "Building and Grounds Director Earl Wolleat said Friday afternoon, March 15.
So despite flooding at the Washington Educational Services Building, Forestview Middle School and Brainerd High School Thursday, all classes will resume as scheduled Monday.
Muddy water flooded the cafeteria at Washington school, Wolleat said, while the office at BHS and maintenance room at Forestview also fell victim to water.
"What happened is those rain leaders, when they contact the sewer mainline, they tend to freeze up. And if you get rain this early in the year, it's a problem," he said. "We're not supposed to be having an inch of rain when we've got really cold temperatures and frozen ground."
But the messes were cleaned up as of Friday, with just a final scrub left to do on the Washington cafeteria to prepare it for students Monday.
Wolleat said he will put a camera down the pipe at Forestview to make sure everything is intact.
"We'll just do what we need to do to make sure it's all back in shape," he said. "It takes some time to totally figure out what has to be done after all the ice melts away from everything."
Investigations on potential damages from the water are still ongoing.
The flooding caused the district's KinderClub and Fun 'N' Friends programs to be moved to Riverside Elementary School Thursday and Friday.
Helping make it "Like it never even happened."
Cass County 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Cass County.
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 218-568-6923
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration-in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property
With any leak, IT'S THE WATER YOU DON'T SEE that may cause the most damage.
Slow refrigerator water-line leak, caused extensive damage Pillager, MN
4 Common Causes of Water Damage
Whatever the cause, water damage that occurs to your home in Crow Wing County can be incredibly stressful and costly to deal with. Especially severe cases can damage the structure of your house, completely destroy furniture, ruin personal belongings, and cause mold to grow. The key to avoiding water damage is by ensuring there is no excess water in your home due to leaks, puddles, or too much moisture in the air. Here are four common causes of water damage to be aware so you can prevent them from ever happening in the first place.
1. Plumbing Issues
Issues with your plumbing can cause extreme water damage before you even realize that anything went wrong, which is why prevention is key. Make sure to check your bathrooms and sinks regularly to observe for any leaks, musty smells, or a problem with your toilet. Avoid a major pipe cleanup by replacing old, rusty pipes if you notice any.
2. Appliance Leaks
Watch out for the four appliances that leak the most by checking for leaks, faulty connections, or cracked hoses:
- Washing machine
- Water heater
3. Issues With Your HVAC System
HVAC systems are prone to leaking or freezing due to dirty coils, a broken pipe, or temperature issues. Make sure to perform regular maintenance and inspections on your HVAC and address any concerns before leaving your home on vacation to avoid leaking water in your home while you’re away.
4. Lack of Ventilation
One easy but important way to avoid having to call in a water restoration specialist is to ensure your home is well ventilated. This is especially true in your bathroom. When you take a shower, make sure to turn on your exhaust fan, crack open a window, and leave the door open.
Undiscovered leaks and moisture build-up can cause damage to the floors, walls and ceilings of your home, leading to soft drywall, warped floors and ceilings, or worse problems. This damage may go unnoticed for an extended period of time, proper cleanup is important to the restoration of your property, possibly reducing the cost of repairs needed.
Local Brainerd Restaurant Pipes Freeze
Storm sewer in basement of restaurant after pipes burst.
When local restaurant had several of its pipes burst SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids was called in to assist with the dryout and clean-up. The pictures show standing water in the basement storm drain, what you don't see is that this drain is four feet above floor level.
There’s never a convenient time for flooding or water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
Our trained technicians are here 24/7 to help your business get up and running.
Water Damage or Flooding? Call Us Today (218) 568-6923
Be Safe with Your Holiday Decorations
Here to Help!
Holiday Lights and Electrical Decorations Safety Tips
Now that Thanksgiving is over, many of us will be decorating our hoes for Christmas. While decorative lights and other electrical decorations add to the magic of the season, they can increase the risks of fire and electrical injuries if not used safely.
- Always purchase electrical decorations and lights from reputable retailers.
- Use lights approved for safe use by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
- Never connect more than three strands of incandescent lights together.
- Consider purchasing LED lights, which use less energy and run cooler than traditional incandescent lights.
- Before decorating, determine how many outlets are available and where they are located. Plan your displays accordingly.
- Carefully inspect each electrical decoration. Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
- Follow the manufacturer's use and care instructions that accompany electrical decorations.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets with too many decorations or electrical devices. They can overheat and cause a fire.
- Make sure that cords are not pinched in doors, windows or under heavy furniture, which could damage the cord's insulation.
- Do not mount or support light strings in a way that might damage the cord's insulation.
- Always unplug electrical decorations before replacing bulbs or fuses.
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before leaving home or going to sleep.
Remember SERVPRO of Brainer and Park Rapids is Here to Help @ 218-568-6923.
Crow Wing, Cass, Wadena and Hubbard county residents, if you suspect mold follow these safety tips.
Be Careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don't touch or disturb the mold.
- Don't blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don't attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don't spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it's a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today - 218-568-6923
Crow Wing county Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Crow Wing county home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke - wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke - Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke - Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue - Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today - 218-568-6923
Don't get too Stuffed!!
Be safe this Thanksgiving. Cooking is the leading cause of fires in the home and of fire injuries, so please follow these safety tips:
- Make sure your oven is empty before turning it on.
- Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.
- Turn pot handles inward over the stove.
- Remember to "stand by your pan" and stay in the kitchen when boiling, frying or broiling.
- Use a timer when baking or roasting and never leave the house with the oven cooking.
- The best way to respond to a stovetop fire is to "put a lid on it" and turn off the heat.
- The best way to respond to an oven or broiler fire is to keep the doors closed and turn off the heat.
- If the fire is not quickly snuffed out, leave the house and call 911 from outside.
Remember SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids is always Here to Help at 218-568-6923. Save our phone number to your phone so that you can be Hero Ready if disaster strikes you home or business.
We are "HERE TO HELP"
Frozen pipe burst in Pequot Lakes, MN
This was caused by freezing temperatures and a burst pipe.
An external water spigot froze and burst inside the wall and caused this waterfall of ice along with extensive water damage throughout this three story house. The damage included SERVPRO needing to remove all hardwood flooring on the main level and removing all of the drywall throughout the lower level. This picture is what the homeowner arrived home to see.
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids was called in to clean up the aftermath! While this was a trying time for the homeowner he was glad we were on-site to start the drying process immediately.
He had even said, "Now I can refinish my house the way I should have done it in the first place. Thank you for what your crews have done for me."
He even called SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids to perform the post-construction clean-up.