Recent Mold Remediation Posts
MOLD CONSUMES VACANT HOUSE AFTER PIPE BURST.
Complete demolition of this bedroom was called for after a pipe broke and was left unattended too in Crosslake, MN.
Get it Clean - Get it Sold
Dirty ducts can circulate odors and contaminants like mold and irritating dust throughout a home. SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids uses a Portable Ventilation & Air Duct Cleaning System to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
Be an Informed Resource
Molds are found in every environment, and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. An Institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors encourages the growth of molds and other organisms, causing potential health effects. The EPA advised that the potential health concerns from molds are an important reason to prevent moisture problems leading to mold growth. It is especially important to clean up existing indoor mold growth to increase property appeal and retain its value. If a property has experienced a water intrusion SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids can inspect the damage to see whether moisture has penetrated materials or is allowing mold growth.
Control Moisture - Reduce Mold
Prior to listing a property, the following steps can be taken to reduce the potential for moisture buildup or mold growth. Should a damage event occur, timely response is the key to preventing further damage - act within the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Correct any water leaks or standing water
- Remove standing water under cooling coils or air handling units
- Properly maintain humidifiers, if used
- Replace wet or visibly moldy insulation materials
- Steam cleaning and other methods involving moisture should not be used on any kind of duct work
- Install a ventilation system
Have You Considered a Mold Inspection, Before You Buy
This was found by new homeowners when they were moving into to new house. It was hidden by a bed during there walk through.
When you're looking to purchase a new home or commercial building in the Lakes area ordering a professional mold inspection might not be on your to-do list. But while not every buyer will opt for an inspection, the benefits can be great, and the peace of mind can be worth the cost.
Where Can Mold Grow?
The short answer to where mold can grow is almost anywhere. Since mold is a fungus, it only needs three main ingredients to thrive: moisture, the correct temperature and a food source (as minimal as dust or flakes of skin). If these conditions exist in abundance, it only takes up to 48 hours for visible mold to appear, and virtually any functional building has one or more of the following prime environments for mold:
• Heating/cooling vents
This is just a short list of where molds can grow, so ultimately, no building is going to be completely exempt of a potential mold problem.
Why Should You Get a Mold Inspection?
If the property you’re purchasing has ever had a problem with mold in the past, an inspection is essential because history is bound to repeat itself. If there is any visible mold or risk of mold growth, an inspection will alert you so you can learn how to rectify it and how much it will cost to do so. If the cost is too great, you may want to reconsider purchasing the building.
An inspection will come at a cost, but the good news is it’s often bundled in with a larger property inspection, which usually includes an assessment of the building’s structure, repair risks and more. More than likely, you will get a good bang for your buck.
Perhaps the most relevant reason to get a mold inspection is because of what might happen if you don’t get one. It could easily save you from spending large sums on mold, repairs or lawsuits – all expenses that could be minimized or prevented with a simple inspection for a fraction of the cost. Visit SERVPRObrainerdparkrapids.com for more information on mold.
Crow Wing, Cass, Wadena and Hubbard county residents, if you suspect mold follow these safety tips.
Be Careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don't touch or disturb the mold.
- Don't blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don't attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don't spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Brainerd and Park Rapids specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it's a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today - 218-568-6923